Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cast of Characters

So I started the container garden today, and I have a few general observations to make before I describe what exactly went down.

General observation #1:  Please note the list of references off to the right.  Right now, that reference list only contains one website, and if you are at all interested in container gardening anything, I highly recommend checking it out!  It’s really been helpful to me for planning.

General observation #2:  My apartment smells like dirt, which smells like summer vactation, and I love it!

General observation #3:  There are some perks to not gardening outside.  For example, today is May 14 and it is 45°F and raining outside.

Now for my plants!  I am trying some of my old favorites and also branching out a little bit into things I’ve never done before.  Cucumbers were a must because they are tasty, and I love making pickles.  (My dad calls cukes “pickles cut down in their prime.”)  I also planted one pepper plant.  I personally hate peppers, but I use them for my great-grandmother’s bread-and-butter pickle recipe.  The others that I planted that I have some experience with are tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini.  My new experiences include carrots, spinach, dill, and mint.  The dill is also for making pickles (but not bread-and-butter pickles), and the mint was my roommate’s request so that we can put mint leaves in our lemonade this summer, which sounds delicious.  I really want to plant peas and melons, but I am still debating if I have the room for either or both of them.  I am (semi-seriously) tempted to plant melons outside my office window so they can climb up the building.  After all, what’s summer without melons from the garden?
The kitchen window in my apartment is facing east, so it catches the sunrise and has full light most of the morning, which I think should be sufficient so I’m not thinking of getting any artificial lighting at this point.  I stopped at GoodWill the other day, and I found an old wooden shoe rack for a dollar that I am hoping to use as a trellis for the cuke or the peas if I decide to plant them.  My neighbors were getting rid of an old microwave cart that I grabbed to put some of the pots on because my puppy randomly has identity crises and currently thinks that he is a member of a grazing species (more on this to come).  Finally, I raided The Home Depot for containers and veggies.  While they have a great container selection, I was disappointed in the veggies they had.  As I was checking out, the lady smiled at me and said, “You have an apartment, I can tell!”
All the plants were garden-ready Bonnie Plants® brand except carrots (Burpee® seeds). 
For cucumbers, I got the only bush variety they had available (Burpless Bush Hybrid) and planted it in a 20” pot. 
My tomatoes are Red Beefsteak Heirloom variety, and I planted them in a 16” pot with a 42” tomato cage. 
My cherry tomatoes don’t get a cage yet because they are specially designed for containers, so I’m expecting for now that I don’t have to stake them.  We’ll see in a few weeks, I suppose.  They are Patio variety and are in a 12” pot. 
The zucchini is a Black Beauty and is also planted in a 12” pot.
The pepper is a Sweet Bell Pepper (green) and it is in a 10" pot.
The spinach is the Bonnie Spinach variety and is planted in a 36” long, approximately 8” deep window box.  I have four plants in there for now, even though the recommendation is to plant them about a foot apart, so we’ll see how that works out.
The carrots  are a Chantenay variety, which means that they are short and wide and are more commonly used for cooking.  I got them because I didn’t want them to grow too long in their short container.  The strain I got is called Short n’ Sweet.  These carrots will be an interesting experiment.  I planted them about ½” deep and about an inch apart in two 1.5 quart containers.  It was almost impossible for my clumsy fingers to grab one seed at a time, so I ended up putting multiple seeds in each hole.  When they are an inch tall, I’ll have to thin them to 3” apart.  I might try thinning them a tid bit closer together and seeing how they do, since I won’t have that many of them in such small containers.  If that doesn’t work, I’ll stick to larger containers in future endeavors.

Finally, the herbs, dill and mint.  They are planted in the same 24” window box.  Hopefully they can become friends!

I have never had to buy dirt and didn’t really know where to start, so I got three bags 2 ½ cubic feet each of MiracleGro® potting soil.  Turns out, two bags would have been perfect.  If I decide to plant peas or melons, I’ll dip into that third bag, otherwise, I’ll find out if The Home Depot lets you return potting soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment